7 ozs. barramundi filet, patted dry
2 tbsp. pomegranate gastrique (see below)
4 tbsp. cauliflower puree
1 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
assorted colors of roasted cauliflower
Brussels sprouts leaves, blanched
For the Pomegranate Gastrique:
1 cup sherry vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- Combine vinegars and sugar in a pan over medium heat, stirring frequently; allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add molasses to the mixture, whisking until smooth; allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat immediately; cool and reserve.
- Score the skin of a barramundi filet. Season with Maldon and sear in a smoking pan, skin-side down, until just beginning to brown.
- Turn the filet and add 1 tbsp. butter, half a clove of garlic, and a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Turn off flame. Butter-baste the filet until the heat has mostly dissipated.
- Hold, and finish in the oven when fired.
- Serve the gastrique lightly chilled.
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts as garnish, arrange cauliflower and sprouts leaves, and season with Maldon.
Submitted by John Zeggert, Executive Chef, St. Davids Golf Club, Wayne, Pa.