For the Soup:
1 large fresh poblano, roasted and peeled
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled
4 cups corn kernels (about 7 fresh cobs)
1 quart milk
4 ozs. butter
8 fl. ozs. heavy cream
to taste kosher salt
- Heat the olive oil on a saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until golden.
- Add the corn kernels, corncob, seeded poblano and milk, and bring to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cobs after 10 minutes and discard.
- Puree the remaining mixture on a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add the heavy cream and butter in between batches. Strain through a fine sieve and adjust seasoning to taste.
For the Soft-Shell Crab:
4 small soft crab shells, clean
- Place the Tempura mix in a mixing bowl and add the club soda until the right consistency is obtained.
- Garnish with yellow and green popcorn shoots.
Submitted by Oscar A. La Fuente, Executive Chef, The Carolina Club, Chapel Hill, N.C.