1 tbsp. grapeseed oil
2 lbs. large peeled and deveined shrimp
½ lb. Tasso ham, shredded
1 ½ lbs. andouille sausage, sliced thin on the bias
2 tbsp. shallot, chopped
1 ½ cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
Cheddar Grits (see recipe below)
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 tbsp. sliced green onion (green part only)
2 tbsp. seeded and chopped tomato
- Heat grapeseed oil in heavy bottom sauté pan, over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and sauté until slightly pink, then remove.
- In same pan, add shredded tasso, andouille and chopped shallot, and sauté for two minutes. Deglaze pan with chicken stock, and reduce by half.
- Add shrimp back into pan and cook an additional two minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- To Plate: Divide the hot grits between six bowls, and spoon the shrimp and sausage mixture over the grits.
- Garnish with parsley, green onion and tomato.
For the Cheddar Grits:
2 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup stone-ground grits
¼ cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup shredded white cheddar
2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- Bring milk and stock to a slow boil, then stir in salt. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly.
- When grits begin to thicken, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid burning on bottom.
- Stir in butter, cream and cheese. Simmer for five minutes and then stir in pepper. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
Submitted by Tyler Dudley, Executive Chef, Daniel Island Club, Charleston, S.C.