- Mix all ingredients and place six pieces of 6-oz. salmon, flesh down, into marinade for 24 hours
For the jasmine rice:
3 ½ cups water
2 cups jasmine rice
1 bay leaf
2 whole cloves
- Combine all ingredients and boil rice.
- When water is almost gone (little bubbles appear on surface of rice), take off heat and cover, to steam for 15 mins.
- Take out bay leaf and cloves.
For the pickled red onions:
2 red onions
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 whole clove
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp. pickling spice
- Combine all ingredients except onion in sauce pot, and bring to a boil.
- Julienne onions and place in 2-quart container.
- Pour liquid over onions, placing a piece of parchment paper over onions to weigh them down so onions stay completely submerged. Refrigerate.
1/2 cup half & half
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- Take salmon out of marinade and reduce to nappe.
- Cook salmon at 400 degrees in a convection oven on a cedar plank for about 10 minutes, for medium rare.
- Take zucchini and cut into half moons and soak in half-and-half.
- Dredge the zucchini in corn meal and fry in rice oil.
- Take one leek and run it through the pasta cutter; dredge in corn starch and fry.
- Take pickled red onion and mix in black sesame seeds.
- Place rice down and make a star with the zucchini.
- Place the salmon on top of the zucchini.
- Finish with pickled red onion, leeks and sauce (be sure not to pour sauce over leeks).
Submitted by Rian Mulligan, Head Chef, Tetherow Golf Club, Bend, Ore.