- Small-dice bacon and render off the fat.
- Take out the bacon when crispy and set aside for later use. Sauté all of the vegetables, except garlic, in the bacon fat until translucent. Add garlic at the end and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add cream until it covers the vegetables.
- Chop up the corn leaf and corn silk and put into cheese cloth to make a sachet; add to simmering cream along with the corn husks.
- Remove the corn sachet (remember to squeeze out the juices inside the sachet) and the corn husks from the cream corn.
- Take the crispy bacon set aside earlier, and add it back into the creamed corn.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the final dish:
30 U-6 scallops
18 large basil leaves
30 thinly sliced spicy coppa ham
- Sauté scallops until medium rare.
- Just before scallops are done cooking, place large basil leaves in fryer for 30 seconds, and dry on paper towel.
- Fry coppa ham until crispy; set on paper towel to dry.
- Place creamed corn on bottom of plate. Place 5 scallops on each dish. Garnish with the spicy coppa and basil leaves.
Submitted by Rian Mulligan, Head Chef, Tetherow Golf Club, Bend, Ore.help