A buckle is simply a baked dessert made with yellow cake batter. It can also be topped with streusel crumbs. We use small, disposable baking cups.
It is served warm with crème anglaise, a dollop of whipped vanilla cream and rich ice cream. You can also accompany it with strawberry preserve and a shaved chocolate hippen cookie.
Recipe (serves 60):
3 lbs unsalted butter (melted, warm)
37 oz all-purpose flour
52 oz sugar
10 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
7 cups milk
2 lbs rhubarb (peeled, chopped)
2 lbs strawberries (quartered)
2 lbs Granny Smith apples (diced)
• Heat oven to 350°F
• Spray baking cups with oil
• Melt butter and pour 1 oz into each cup
• Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in small bowl.
• Add the milk and whisk into dry ingredients
• Pour batter into each cup, arrange the fruit over the batter and sprinkle a little sugar over the top
• Bake until golden brown and the edges pull away from the sides of the cups (about 30 minutes)
• Let cool and unwrap paper cups
• Serve warm or reheat before serving
• Design the plates first then place warm buckle on plate